Embracing and Showing Mercy
As we continue our story through the life of Joseph from the book of Genesis we are confronted with the moment where Joseph and his brothers reconcile. This is a moment that is a long time coming in this narrative. Up until this moment his brothers have hated him, ridiculed him, abused him, thrown him into a pit, sold him, lied about him, rejected him and forgotten him.
Read Genesis 37-50 and you’ll see that Joseph has numerous opportunities to exact revenge and have them pay for what they’ve done. And yet, presented with the opportunity, Joseph responds with mercy.
Jesus, himself, was hated, ridiculed, abused, sold out, lied about, rejected as well. And likewise, Jesus responded with mercy. Take time this week to listen to this week’s message entitled ‘Looking Outward’ and take time this week to take Sunday’s talk home:
Monday, November 19th | Read Psalms 86 & Hebrews 4:16
- In what ways is God merciful according to Psalms 86?
- List three ways God has been merciful to you and your family.
Tuesday, November 20th | Read Titus 3:3-8
- Have each member of your family, in their own words, share the three most impactful phrases in this text with your family.
Wednesday, November 21st | Read Colossians 3
- If we shift our perspective to things above, rather than things below, what does our perspective on people shift?
- Pray that you will see your family and your community through the eyes of Jesus with a heavenly perspective.
Thursday, November 22nd | Read 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
- According to these verses, ‘God comforts us in all our tribulations’. How has God comforted you recently?
- In what ways can you ‘pay that comfort forward’ and comfort those around you?
Friday, November 23rd | Read Proverbs 3
- According to verses 3-4, what should we do with mercy and truth?
- Why is it so important to keep mercy and truth so close to our minds and hearts?
Saturday, November 24th | Read Ephesians 4:31-32, Luke 17:3-4
- Mercy shows itself in how we forgive others who have hurt us.
- Who in your life should receive mercy through your forgiveness?
- Pray that God will give you the strength and resolve to exercise the mercy He has extended to you and show forgiveness to this person.
Next week on Sunday, November 25th we will continue and finish up our study of Joseph’s life as we ‘Look Forward.’
Until next time…